Prior to the series startEditAlexander Nigma was born over 150 years ago. A dedicated military veteran, he served during the Boer Wars, after which he retired (and took a larger dress size). Mr. Nigma would go onto build the school A Nigma High in Toronto, Canada, with the aid of his wife Anastasia Nigma, using his beloved and loyal pet The Red Tazelwurm as the school's mascot and employing his brother Earl Nigma as the school's janitor.In his travels he discovered The Pyramid, an ancient artifact of immense power, and sought a way to open it. He recruited four of his best students, Elizabeth Mann, R. Wurst, Maxwell Finnwich and Lo Ping to help him, 112 years prior to the series start they succeeded. But contrary to all expectations, they instead released a creature they would come to know as His Eminence and in trying to seal him away again, Alexander instead entombed himself alive.
Alexander's remains weren't discovered until the Pyramid was opened again 112 years later, where Lee Ping used his femur as a make shift blunt weapon in the fight between his student Maxwell's Steam-Mats and his group's modern incarnation, The Council's Reaper Mats.It would appear that his final act was to write down the number 100, the page in The Book with the needed information on reawakening someone who fell under the pyramid's curse and the prophecy of the world's end.
- Alexander Nigma is known for his large beard; when his portrait was shown on the news' announcement, Lee remarks that Alexander had "a serious beard".
- According to his portrait he wore a monacle.
- A.Nigma was the first human ever to encounter His Eminence after the latter's release from the Pyramid, which actually ended for worse.
- When Lee was having hallucinations, The Tazelwurm wore a moustache, beard and monacle resembling Alexander Nigma's.
- Alexander was the first owner of the cryptic cypher that Finnwich obtained years later.